Today, more than ever intercultural competence skills are essential when business means working with colleagues, clients and customers from other cultures. Technology and increased mobility means that even if we don’t move the world comes to us!
Intercultural competence explores how culture shapes how we act and behave and influences our expectations when communicating with people from other cultures. It provides the knowledge, skills and expertise to communicate effectively across cultures.
Using theory, practical examples and activities the training explores:
- Invisible/ visible aspects of culture
- Own cultural rules and behaviours and how cultures differ
- Reactions to differences and how misunderstanding can arise
- Differences in verbal and non verbal communication
- How culture affects all areas of work, management, teams, meetings
- The different ways people negotiate, communicate, agree and resolve conflict
- Tips, techniques and strategies to improve your skills
Workshop Themes Include:
- General Introduction to Intercultural Competence
- Intercultural Competence for Business & Management
- Developing skills for working in International Teams
- Working effectively across Cultures in Virtual Teams
- Regional briefings for working with specific countries
- Intercultural Competence in Education & Training
- Intercultural Competence in Hospitality, Care, Social Services etc
Half day or full day training is designed to meet your specific needs and can be designed around management, teams, meetings, virtual working, communication, presentations, sales, negotiations, for Public Sector, Private Sector, Education and Community and Voluntary Sector.
For more information on Intercultural Competence Training, Study Visits, Events Management contact firstname.lastname@example.org
‘An excellent thought provoking course. The theory helped to make sense of different cultural behaviours and the facilitator’s experience and practical examples raised awareness of how to consider own and other cultural perspectives’ Tommy McLaughlin, Good Relations Officer, Fermanagh District Council
‘I recently attended the Cultural Awareness training provided by Heather and found it be extremely informative and most helpful in my line of work! I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. To sum up, enjoyable, informative and useful! ‘ Karen Morrison, EU Commission Belfast
‘This course exceeded my expectations, giving me an insight into numerous diverse cultures and customs, whilst also considering my own customs in a new light. Very enjoyable and interesting’ Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd.
‘The activities were excellent and enjoyable. They made me think about the difference and to take time with people within the school’ Sports co-ordinator, Youth Programme.
‘Clear overview of cultures and how to respect them’
‘Practical examples and comparisons with other cultures was excellent’
‘Understanding how different people perceive the same situation’
‘Allowed us to see things and work them out ourselves and not just told’
‘Tutor very good and easy to understand’
‘Reminder that discomfort may mark presence of cultural boundaries – very useful introduction to complex matters’
‘Realisation that there may be a reason why people act the way they do’
‘Very interesting and well delivered’
‘This will help me not to take offence when none was intended’
- Privacy & Images
Images, photographs, video, sound recordings at events will be used in printed and electronic media, including the internet, for promotional purposes. Some images or recordings may be used for research, publication, education, displays and exhibitions. By participating in events and workshops you consent to being photographed, filmed and recorded and you waive any privacy claims.